Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Week 14: The influence of anime and manga in the west










The Text I read was Annarasumanana by Ilkwon Ha. I'm honestly really surprised how unique and different the manga is in terms of hows its illustrated, how the comps are layed out, and how the use of variety in the media capitalizes in the humor and severity of the story told.  I think it was a very dramatic, and cinematic comic and takes its self very seriously through its usage of sparce dialogue and using the environment to communicate empty or loneliness.

I think the story connects to me through the main character. I think in the story, her main goals initially were to push past her past and to get her degree while support her sister. I think the difficulty she felt was it was hard for her to relate to most of her class mates because her priorities were much more different and were further past school. I think for me I can relate to this because I am trying to balance my personal life and my school life, while worrying about the unknown certainty of my future life. I think that its very relatable that she was yearning to relive a past experience at the carnival which sparked a new life in her. I look back to my past and find elements of what I want to relive and reflect on to help better my self in the future. 

I feel like the best change for this type of story could be translated into a TV series directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, the guy who made Samurai Jack. I think that he would be the only one to really give the series justice. I think the changes I would make would be to add more multi media in the story like stop motion and matte paintings I would also want it to be colorized, but also have it be black and white for certain moments. 

I think because of the minimal use of words and the capitalization of telling story through action and a dynamic composition that a video format would be a really amazing way to tell this story, and would be the best way to communicate the adaptation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14: The influence of anime and manga in the west

The Text I read was Annarasumanana by Ilkwon Ha. I'm honestly really surprised how unique and different the manga is in terms...