Sunday, April 5, 2020

Week 11: Horror


Manga horror is just odd
There were so many surreal, gross, stupid, and trippy stories that I read. I don't understand how some of them are even considered horror. I think each one of these stories is very unique and explores a niche type or morbid curiosity. For example, the Fixed Face story is very psychological. The woman destroyed her ears because she feared nobody in the world would help her, but in reality she should have just waited until morning for an assistant to check the room. I really liked the over exadurated emotions portrayed in the comics and the sunken in eyes really played up the emotion of helplessness and pure stress. The weirdest one was for sure the shit one. I felt like it didn't take its self seriously. Something that I did think was super weird about it was the boy rather than what the vendor was selling. He was always in silhouette and had a very weird shape to his head almost as if he was some sort of crazy person. I don't know how to entirely describe it but It was just comedicaly unsettling.

1 comment:

  1. No doubt horror in manga is weird. In some aspects the genre in a whole can leave a psychological affect on the reader. However, the adaptation into anime and movies is down right terrifying
    .

    ReplyDelete

Week 14: The influence of anime and manga in the west

The Text I read was Annarasumanana by Ilkwon Ha. I'm honestly really surprised how unique and different the manga is in terms...