Thursday, March 5, 2020

Week 8: My lesbian experience with lonieness



I think this story is a really strong down to earth manga because of its themes and character development. Furthermore, the usage of gay characters in manga out of the yaoi genre is telling of change in manga demographics and more of a personal experience which I find really telling. In japan I think theres is still a resistance to same sex culture and the reason why I like this story a lot is because it shows the battle and conflction within ones self.  The main character has realistic expectations and tries to be a functioning member of society, and yet feels internally troubled, depressed and outcasted from the norm of society. I relate to this character because I battle with my sexual Identity during this time in my life, Im not necessarily depressed or uncertain, however being apart of the LGBT community I understand and empathize with the struggles of finding yourself and how that reflects on your environment. Finally what I really like about this story is the clever writing and holistic balance between heavy topics like depression and Identity, and yet the author finds a way to blend it with light hearted humor. Overall I thought it was a really unique take on this genre, and a really fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14: The influence of anime and manga in the west

The Text I read was Annarasumanana by Ilkwon Ha. I'm honestly really surprised how unique and different the manga is in terms...